Places of Worship
St Michael and All Angels, Penkridge
At the centre of theVillage, it can be seen on almost all approaches into Penkridge,especially when floodlit in the evening. In 1999 the church was re-ordered to provide a nave altar, a new meeting room, kitchen and toilets. The heating and lighting systems have now been renewed. At the back of the church is a carpeted area where tables and chairs are put out for Fellowship Lunches and Coffee Morning. There is a portable ramp giving access to the physically disadvantaged, and a member of the PCC is the health and safety officer within the church.
All Saints, Bednall
The existing Church building dates from 1846 with the tower and spire being added in 1873. Bednall records go back to 1086, with Acton & Bednall becoming a Separate parish in 1671. An older Church building occupied the site (date unknown) although the current ringing bell (dated 1681) originally hung in the old church. A gravestone in the churchyard also is dated 1681. The Church can accommodate 250 people. There is a regular team of volunteers who clean the Church, decorate it with flowers, wind the clock and maintain the building.
St Lawrence, Coppenhall
St. Lawrence’s Church was built around the mid-twelfth century. It is a small stone building, Consisting of nave and chancel with a timber bell turret at the west end. The church is of special interest as being a comparatively unaltered example of a small church of that period. The church is in sound condition and well maintained. There is a dedicated team of villagers who provide flowers, clean the church and maintain the churchyard. The church can seat 55.
St Leonards, Dunston
A chapel occupied the site since 1445 until demolished and rebuilt between 1876 and 1878. The church can seat 180. The tower has a single bell together with a CARILLON of eight tubular bells, rung from a keyboard. In need of repair, it is one of only 8 in the country. The Churchyard Group are dedicated to keeping it tidy and well kept.
St Mowdens Chapel, Pillaton
Pillaton chapel is one mile east of Penkridge, on the way to Cannock. The Chapel is part of Pillaton Hall, home of the Perceval family.
St John, Stretton
Stretton is a rural hamlet with about 45 houses, two farms, Vernon Lodge ‘ Preparatory School (ages 3- 11) and Stretton Hall. It has a population of about 80 people. The small Church seats around 70. There are no toilet facilities and parking can be difficult.
St James, Acton Trussell
The Church of St James the Great was originally built in 1212. It was enlarged and rebuilt in 1869 under the direction of G.E. Street. The main additions were combined vestry and organ chamber on the north side and a new south porch. The church re-opened after restoration in 1870 having been closed for 44 years. The church may well be older that suggested, standing as it does on the foundations of a Second Century Roman Villa. In 2009 the ancient Bell Tower was refurbished and in 2010 it is proposed to bring a water supply and provide toilet and tea bar facilities.
The Mission, Levedale
Levedale is a rural hamlet two miles west of Penkridge, on the way to Coppenhall. It has a wooden mission chapel which serves as a multi-purpose building, being well used for social events in the local area.
Methodist Church, Penkridge
The Church is situated on the corner between New Road and Clay Street in the centre of Penkridge. All are welcome to join in Sunday Worship or take part in any of the other church activities held during the week.